Thursday, July 9, 2015

The South Carolina Confederate Flag Removal.

Today the South Carolina  Governor, Nicky Haley, will sign a bill removing the Confederate Flag from the Capitol grounds in that state. I completely agree with the removal, because the flag was placed there in the sixties as a racist gesture protesting the Civil Rights Movement. It will be placed in a museum, and I also believe that is  appropriate.

What I don't agree with is that the flag itself is a symbol of hate. In the 50s, 60s, and 70s the Confederate flag was high jacked by the democratic party, and the clan to represent their hatred of blacks. Since then, the south has become a place that all of us can call home and be equal. This change happened because of the Republican Party, and the civil rights movement. I have always been a Republican, and I have always considered anyone that treated me with respect as a friend, regardless of color.

Another thing that I don't agree with, is digging up my ancestors, or destroying monuments that honors our past. Our history is sacred, whether we agree with it or not. And people who want to rewrite history are doing a disservice to our country.

For those who would like to ban the Confederate Flag,   I happen to have one tattooed on my arm. I didn't get the tattoo because I am a racist. I got it because I was a drunk 18 year old sailor in a foreign port and four other guys bet me that I wouldn't get tattooed. I chose the confederate flag because of my southern heritage. One of the guys with me that night was black.

The bottom line is, I will not only fight for equal opportunity for every American, but I will also fight to stop those who would disrespect who I am.

No comments: